Saskia Boddeke, born in Castricum, is an innovative Dutch multimedia artist and stage and film director. From 1986, after graduation in the Performance Arts in Amsterdam, Saskia Boddeke worked as an assistant director at the Netherlands Opera in Amsterdam, with artist like Dario Fo and Pierre Audi. She founded her own theatre company Vals Akkoord in Amsterdam.
Her music - theatre languages over the last 21 years uses multiple projection screens, sophisticated computer programming and visual phenomenon like Second Life, inter-connecting animated audio-visual avatars with live actors within a stage presence which combines the truly physical with the electronic. Her multimedia installations and performances are shown around the world; from New York to Adelaide. Saskia also created many multimedia installations where the visitors are surrounded by projections, sounds, light, smells and art objects. She creates immersive experiences, like Obedience in 2015 an installation in 15 rooms at the Jewish Museum of Berlin and Giovanna d'Arco at the Teatro Farnese at the Verdi Festival of Parma.
Saskia alias Rose Borchovski is also a well-known artist at Second Life where she created multiple installations. These installations were shown at the Madrid Pavilion at the Shanghai Expo of 2012 and in The Digital Art Exhibition in Spain of 2014. The installation The Inevitability of Fate received more than 200.000 visitors.
The Second Life installations can be visited online at The Second Life Grid and at the Aire Mille Flux art-grid.
In 2015 Saskia was awarded with the Russian TANR award for her exhibition in Moscow: The Black Square, The golden Age of the Russian Avantgarde, a multimedia installation.
Saskia Boddeke Installations/ Exhibitions
- 2017 Body Parts.Concept,Installation & video by Saskia Boddeke, paintings by Peter Greenaway. Februari- April, Sala Veronicas Murcia, Spain.
- 2016 Chtchoukine, Matisse, la Danse et la Musique. Concept and design by Saskia Boddeke. Script by Peter Greenaway. This installation is part of Icônes de l'art Moderne. La Collection Chtchoukine. Louis Vuitton Foundation, Paris. October 2016 to February 2017
- 2016 Sex & the Sea, at the Maritime Museum Helsingor, Denmark. Concept & design by Saskia Boddeke. Opened from September 9 till August 13 2017.In 2015 the exhibition Sex & the Sea showed at the Maritime Museum Stockholm. Concept & design by Saskia Boddeke. Opened from April 10 till April 6 2016
- 2015 Gehorsam / Obedience, a multimedia installation concerning 'the Sacrifice of Isaac' seen from different religious view-points in 15 rooms of the Jewish Museum Berlin. Concept & Design by Saskia Boddeke
- 2014 The Wife of a Diplomat, Margaretha Turnor, Castle Amerongen
- 2014 The Black Square, The Golden Age of Russian Avant-Garde, Moscow By Saskia Boddeke and Peter Greenaway. The installation has received the prestigious Tanr Price Best Exhibition 2015, the annual award of The Art Newspaper Russia
- 2013 Sex & The Sea, Maritiem Museum Rotterdam. By Saskia Boddeke & Peter Greenaway
- 2011 A Day in the life of a Castle, a multimedia installation containing 22 screens spread over 12 rooms at Castle Amsterongen in the Netherlands. Castle Amerongen. Libretto by Peter Greenaway.
- 2005 Democracy. Performance/ Installation Athens
- 2005 The Children of Uranium, a multimedia installation with live actors and film; The Museum of Modern Art at Genoa and The New Media Museum at Naples
- 2004 Wash & Travel, a multimedia installation with live performance at the Eglise Sainte-Marie Madeleine Lille, Lille Cultural Capital Festival
Saskia boddeke Opera and music theatre performances
- 2016 Chtchoukine, Matisse, la Danse et la Musique. Part of the exhibition: Icônes de l'art Moderne. La Collection Chtchoukine. Fondation Louis Vuitton.
- 2016 Giovanna d'Arco, opera at the Teatro Farnese. Opening performance of the Verdi Festival at Parma.
- 2010 The Big Bang, the inauguration show of the Copernicus Museum of Science in Warsaw, consisting of a projection-show on the exterior of the museum with life performance of music and dance including group participation of 250 Warsaw inhabitants
- 2008 The Blue Planet, directed by Saskia Boddeke music by Goran Bregovic, libretto Peter Greenaway and Saskia Boddeke. The Production was originally created as the closure performance of the expo in Spain at Zaragoza. The production travelled around Europe and China.
- 2008 Rembrandt’s Spiegel, a multimedia music performance, directed by Saskia Boddeke, music by Vincent van Warmerdam and libretto by Peter Greenaway (Productiehuis Rotterdam. Toured around the Netherlands and to Budapest.
- 2005 The Falls, an installation-music theatre with the students of AERTEZ, directed by Saskia Boddeke, music inspired by David Lang, from the collection of short biographies from The Falls by Peter Greenaway at the Broerenkerk Zwolle
- 2005 M is for Medicine 2, directed by Saskia Boddeke. A multimedia performance at VU medical Center Amsterdam
- 2003 Die Zauberflöte, Mozart, in co-direction with Pierre Audi, Salzburger Festspiele, Salzburg
- 2001 Gold, 92 Bars in a Crashed Car, directed by Saskia Boddeke, music by Borut Krisnik, libretto by Peter Greenaway at Schauspiel Frankfurt
- 2000 Writing To Vermeer, directed by Saskia Boddeke, music by Louis Andriessen, libretto by Peter Greenaway. Premiered at the DNO in Amsterdam. Travelled to Adelaide Festival in Australia and New York Lincoln Festival, the production was revived at the Amsterdam Muziektheater in 2003
- 2000 La Gazzetta, directed by Saskia Boddeke, music by Rossini at the Summerborn Opera Festival, Zwolle.
- 1998 Christophe Colomb, directed by Saskia Boddeke, music by Darius Milhaud, libretto by Peter Greenaway. Deutsche Staatsoper Berlin
- 1997 & 1999 100 Objects to represent the World, premiered at the Salzburger Zeitfluss Festival. The show toured around Europe and South America. Directey by Saskia Boddeke music by Jean-Baptiste Barriere, libretto by Peter Greenaway.
- 1995 Vleugellam, Stadsschouwburg Amsterdam
- 1995 De Wolven van Charkof, Amsterdam
- 1994 & 1996 The Death of a Composer - Rosa, a Horse Drama, DNO Amsterdam. Directed by Saskia Boddeke, music by Louis Andriessen, libretto by Peter Greenaway.
- 1993 Turn of The Tide, Stadsschouwburg Amsterdam
- 1992 Vals Akkoord, Stadsschouwburg Amsterdam
Saskia boddeke Films
- 2015 The Sex & the Sea film, part of the travelling Blue Angel Project Performance of Big Hart in Australia
- 1996 Rosa, a Horse drama, direction Saskia Boddeke & Peter Greenaway, music by Louis Andriessen
Saskia boddeke/ Rose Borchovski ANIMATIONS IN SECOND LIFE
- 2015 Echoes in The Garden
- 2014 The Arrival
- 2013 The Inevitability of Fate
- 2013 The Dance of Death A Susa Bubble animation for an installation by Peter Greenaway at Basle
- 2012 Memories
- 2012 Lost in Counting
- 2011 Fear of Falling
- 2011 Maybe it is better there is only one of me!
- 2008-2015 With her Second Life Avatar, Rose Borchovski, Saskia has created: The Susa Bubble Story
saskia Boddeke VJ show
- 2007: ‘The Survivor of Warsaw’ by Arnold Schönberg, with Zubin Mehta and Charlotte Rampling at the Florence Opera House. A triple screen live projection show featuring the survivors of the Warsaw Ghetto.
Saskia Boddeke in preparation
- Documentary: ‘The Greenaway Alphabet’